Sunday, October 7, 2012

I am beautiful the way I am

Everyone has flaws and their own insecurities, I am not any different from anyone. I have flaws and my own set of insecurities, but one of my biggest insecurities ever is my protruding jaw and because of the protrusion of my jaw, I can't grin like normal with teeth. My bottom row of teeth would always overshadow my top row of teeth entirely. Am I making sense? I hope I am. Oh well, I will include visuals below to allow you to comprehend.


You have absolutely no idea just how much, how much I really want to grin with teeth normally. I love how radiant people look, how beautiful they are when they smile - thoroughly with all their teeth out. And because of the protrusion of my jaw and how insecure and ashamed I am of it, I could never bring myself to do it. I could never feel beautiful, look radiant or BE entirely happy about my looks. Most of the time, people try the best they can to conceal and bury their shame in the deepest corners of their closets of skeletons, but I need to wear my biggest shame on my face every single day.

I am going to be downright frank right to the very last word. I just feel plain ugly...most of the time and the contributing factor is the protrusion of my jaw. My protruding jaw has brought many sneers and teases upon me, but you know what? I've learnt to love myself, flaws or flawless. *flicks hair*

People have always made fun of my protruding jaw and calling me names such as long/horse/banana/spoon/crescent moon, ping pong bat (yeah, don't ask) face and the list just goes on, and I have always, always just grimaced and put up the pretense that I took it lightly - that I did not care when it really just tore me apart from within and jabbed relentlessly at my heart. Limb for limb, organ after organ. It broke down my confidence and shattered my self-esteem entirely. I could not look at my reflection in the mirror without hating myself, without wanting to look like someone else.

Thus, right now and here, I am telling everyone who feels ugly because of their insecurities to chin up (heh, pun intended) and fuck the haters. Not literally, of course. They don't deserve a good time (if you know what I mean) for picking on people's flaws. It has taken me years and I really mean, YEARS to be fine with my protruding jaw and it is going to you a while to adapt/learn to love yourself wholeheartedly, but you will. One day, you will. And you will find out how liberating it is to not give two hoots of what people may think of you and you will also realize just how confined and suffocated you have been.

You have small eyes? Thank God you still have eyesight. You have acne? Thank God you are not suffering from a dire skin disease such as skin cancer. You have a flat nose? Thank God you have a nose, y'know? You are not Michael Jackson and plus, he brought it upon himself with all the plastic surgery. You are short? Thank God you have legs even. You are what? Too tall? Thank God you can reach the things at the top of shelves, wtf and if you're a woman, you do not need to spend your money on high heels/stilettos. You are fat? Thank God you have the privilege to pig out on food and at least you are not malnourished. You are too skinny? Thank God you are not obese and can always fit into clothes, wtf. You are flat-chested? Thank God when you have breast cancer, it wouldn't make much of a difference. (Okay, just kidding! I am leading astray.) Or any insecurity you might have, thank God because you are alive (or you can thank God that you are reading this *grins sheepishly*) and it is such a blessing to be alive.

My jaw wasn't always protruding. At least I didn't remember it protruding when I was younger, but over the years, I just...grew up and my looks changed along the years. I have come to terms with the fact that I can't change the looks I am born with, but I can change my attitude. If I am annoying, I try not to be. If I am always too fast to make crude judgments, I try to kick off the habit. If I am dumb, I read and learn more so I will be smarter. You get what I am trying to say here? I change the aspects of myself that can be altered and improved on whereas the parts I can't, I just learn to deal with 'em and love myself either way. 

Oh and for all my life, I thought I could not grin normally? Well, WHO IS TO SAY MY GRIN ISN'T NORMAL? I am a normal person and I have all my organs intact, all my limbs, all my facial features and my brain is full-sized. I am absolutely N-O-R-M-A-L. So, here, MY NORMAL GRIN.


God created me and made me the way I am; He loves me regardless of my flaws because His love is mighty like that. My parents love me and they tell me I am beautiful the way I am. My brothers dote on me, irregardless of my flaws because I am their baby sister and they are unfortunately stuck with me. (HAHAHA, FTL.) I have friends who love me because they've gotten to know me and learnt to love me for who I am, not for my looks. I should and am eternally grateful for the abundance of love I am swimming in and the ample amount of care I am showered with.

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. - 1 Peter 3:3-4

So, for everyone who has ever made fun of me or made a harsh remark on my looks, fuck you, fuck you, FUCK YOU. And fuck off. Who are you to call me names, to pick on my looks, to deem me unworthy of beauty? (I would insert a picture of me giving the obscene finger, but I shall keep my poise. LOL.)

I AM BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE GOD CREATED ME IN HIS IMAGE AND GOD MAKES NO MISTAKES. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO LOVE ME AND THEREFORE, I AM BEAUTIFUL. I DON'T NEED TO BE SPECIFICALLY BEAUTIFUL ON THE OUTSIDE BECAUSE EVEN IF MY INNER BEAUTY SHINES OUT OF MY ASS AND MAYBE THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF SHIT HANGING, I AM BEAUTIFUL AND I DO NOT NEED ANYONE, OR YOU, TO TELL ME OTHERWISE. EVEN IF YOU DO, I. DO. NOT. MIND. NOR. CARE! (Nonsensical rant, not sure if I made any sense, lol, except for the first line where I stated that I am beautiful because God created me. That line is true.)

I. Am. Beautiful. The. Way. I. Am. 

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." - Psalms 139:14

And there is no counter argument for you so shut up and go away. I mean, no, my bad, don't go away because I need your presence that graces my blog to boost my views so stay and tune in for more the next time. Thank you. *does a curtsy bow*


P/S: The brain juice was flowing and I did not bother to pause and ponder on how to phrase better. So, yup, no bombastic words or mellifluous flow of sentences or whatever. And this is pretty much me, when I am not writing. Okay, this is also writing, but y'know...aiya, I don't know how to explain so what evs.
P/P/S: This post took me copious amount of courage so please, respect that. It's a personal hurdle I  am finally willing to jump over after all these years.

3 comments:

  1. Illuminating blog post! :) I think beauty is only soiled with the perceptions and sterotypical mindset of society. What really matters is that one is beautiful inside, and the rest will take care of themselves :).

    Stumbled upon your blog when I was googling denim shirts! Your rant was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Corinna, thank you so much. <3

    @ Joanne Loo, thanks and you're absolutely right. Thanks, yet again. :)

    ReplyDelete